Many times we hear that Macs do not spoil and never have bugs. That’s not entirely true, as any Mac machine can fail and give us problems . In the case of computers, it may be one that, domestically, less failure, but that does not mean it is without problems. this is for reset the SMC on a Mac with Intel processor
When Mac begins to behave erratically usually use the same techniques: Restart the computer, spend some cleaning software, reset NVRAM or PRAM , etc, etc … But if all else fails and we still have problems What we do? Reset SMC (System Management Controller) can be the solution we are looking for .
Symptoms that may indicate the need to reset the SMC on a Mac
Here we show some of the symptoms that Apple itself indicates that might require a restart of the SMC on your Mac:
- Excessive fan operation despite the computer not be demanding too much effort.
- Failures backlit keyboards include this feature (MacBook Air, MacBook Pro Retina …).
- The status light (SIL) appears to behave incorrectly (on Mac computers that have an SIL).
- Battery indicator lights, if the computer has them, appear to behave incorrectly (on laptops that use non-removable batteries).
- The display backlight does not respond correctly to changes in ambient light.
- The computer stops responding when the power button is pressed.
- A portable Mac does not respond properly when you close or open the lid.
- The computer goes to sleep or shuts down without being indicate.
- The battery does not seem to load properly.
- The LED on the MagSafe power adapter seems to indicate the correct activity.
- The computer runs too slow and we are not demanding much the processor.
- It is possible that application icons “bounce” in the Dock for a prolonged when booting period.
- Applications may not work properly or stop responding after opening.
- A computer that supports the target display mode does not enter or exit this mode as it should.
- A computer that supports the target display mode does not enter or exit this mode when it should.
If the fault having our Mac computer , is related to any of these symptoms and the usual solutions do not solve the problem, we can try to reset the SMC team . Depending on the model we follow a few different steps:
How to reset the SMC on a MacBook with removable batteries
If our MacBook or Mac laptop available a removable battery next steps are:
- Shut down the computer.
- Disconnect the computer from the electrical outlet when it is plugged.
- Remove the battery.
- Hold the power button for 5 seconds.
- Release the power button.
- Replace battery, plug the computer if needed.
- Start up the computer.
How to reset the SMC on a MacBook with no removable batteries
If our Apple laptop does not have a removable battery (something that happens in the MacBook, MacBook Air and MacBook Pro today), the steps are:
- Turn off the computer.
- Connect your MacBook to power the charger.
- Press Shift – Control – option to the left side of the computer and integrated into the power button while the keyboard.
- Release all the keys and the power button at the same time.
- Turn on the computer.
It is possible that during the restoration of the SMC, the LED on the MagSafe charger connector temporarily turn off or change color.
Resetting the SMC on Mac desktops (Mac Pro, iMac, Mac Mini or Xserve) with Intel processors
If you have a desktop computer from Apple we can also reset the SMC. The procedure is as follows:
- Shut down the computer.
- Unplug the power cord from the electrical outlet.
- Wait 15 seconds.
- Reconnect the computer to the electrical current.
- Wait five seconds and turn on the computer again.
Further information on the SMC
The SMC (System Management Controller) is responsible for different low-level tasks in our Macs with Intel processors . Among the functions performed are:
- Respond to pulsations button.
- Reply to the opening and closing of the screen on Mac laptops.
- Manage battery.
- Manage the temperature.
- Manage the SMS (Sudden Motion Sensor).
- Detection of ambient light.
- The keyboard backlight.
- Management status light (SIL).
- The lights on the battery status.
- Selecting an external video source (instead of internal) in some iMac screens.
The fact SMC reset does not affect the NVRAM or PRAM , are two completely separate processes and can solve completely different or additional problems.
As I mentioned at the beginning, a Mac can suffer problems and have bugs that make you lose agility and speed that initially had. So it is good to perform maintenance team to achieve improved performance after a few months since we have the computer.